- it can crawl and search pretty much any type of data or document management system (i.e., it is not limited to Interwoven for DMS searching)
- the "universal" element means you can choose to search, for example, on "motion to compel" on your internal document management system, on Lexis or Westlaw, the World Wide Web and your internal library catalog, all in one search (the product comes "out of the box" with a fairly large number of "connectors" to allow this searching; to search some databases, such as Lexis or Westlaw, you need to purchase or build a specialized connector).
- it is a single search box (like Google)
- admin staff can "edit" the cluster names so that they are more applicable to how the organization names categories
- it will likely be able to accommodate Web 2.0 features, such as allowing users to tag and comment on documents – see the post by Doug Cornelius at KM Space on Vivisimo's Velocity 6.0 tool
For customers who have Interwoven as their DMS and who upgrade to version 8.3, there will be a more basic (but free) version of this Vivisimo-drive search functionality to search only within Interwoven through your Outlook search/view (which will be much, much better than the existing arcane search built into Interwoven). Otherwise, the "Interwoven Universal Search" web product described above is sold/licensed as a "stand alone" product.
For other comments on Interwoven Universal Search, see the results of a Google Blog search on that topic.