The Supreme Court of Canada recently published a special edition of its Bulletin of Proceedings called Statistics 1998 to 2008.
The statistics are broken down into 5 categories:
- Cases Filed: the number of complete applications for leave to appeal and notices of appeal as of right filed by litigants with the Court’s Registry each year
- Applications for Leave Submitted: number of leave applications submitted to panels of the Court for decision, the number of leave applications granted and the percentage granted of the total submitted
- Appeals Heard: number of appeals heard each year and the number of hearing days over the year
- Appeal Judgments: the number of judgments rendered each year
- Average Time Lapses: time lines in the life of a case at the Court