I'm more than proud to be able to say that Dennis Kennedy, that powerhouse of American law blogging, has awarded the 2009 Blawggie for Best Overall Law-Related Blog to Slaw. This is the second year in a row we've been favoured with the award — and we're chuffed, to say the least.
Kennedy sets out the criteria by which he measures the blawgs he reads on a regular basis: They should offer "(1) consistently useful content, (2) a generous and helpful approach, and (3) a combination of commitment and talent, with an emphasis on good writing."
Of Slaw, he says:
SLAW is a repeat winner. It is a group blog written by a steadily growing list of the brightest minds in Canada on the subject of law practice management and other legal topics. Like last year, whenever I sat down and thought about what blawgs were candidates for this award, I always came back to SLAW. It can be very difficult to achieve continuity and continue to keep momentum and quality with a group blog (especially where contributors have their own individual blogs), but SLAW has continued to succeed. I like the steady stream of high-quality, useful posts on a variety of topics, often with practical advice you can use immediately. Simon Fodden is the SLAW administrator and there is a stated aim "to share knowledge, offer advice and instruction, and occasionally provoke." Which they do.
We urge you to check out all of the winners:
1. Best Overall Law-Related Blog – SLAW
2. The Marty Schwimmer Best Practice-Specific Legal Blog – Tie: Steve Nipper’s The Invent Blog and Patrick Lamb’s In Search of Perfect Client Service
3. Best Law Practice Management Blog – Jim Calloway’s Law Practice Management Tips
4. Best Legal Blog Category – Non-US Blawgs
5. Best Legal Blog Digest – Stark County Law Library Weblog
6. Best Blawg About Legal Blawgging – Kevin O'Keefe's Real Lawyers Have Blogs
7. Best Legal Podcast – Bob Ambrogi's and Craig Williams' Lawyer2Lawyer Podcast
8. The Sherry Fowler Best Writing on a Legal Blog Award – Allison Shields’ Legal Ease Blog
9. Best Law Professor Blog – Paul Caron's The TaxProf Blog
10. Best New Law-related Blog – Social Media Law Student
11. The DennisKennedy.Blog Best Legal Technology Blog – Ron Friedmann’s Strategic Legal Technology
12. Most Important Trend in Law-related Blogging – Tie: Group Blogs and Microblogging