What follows will be no revelation to most Slaw regulars (or irregulars as the case might be) so feel free to move along, but also feel to contribute some expertise if the feeling moves you. While celebrating Canada Day last week, it occurred to me that not everybody who visits Slaw will be as comfortable with some of the legal foundations of Canada as those regulars (or irregulars) are; so what follows are some of the legalities that make Canada… well Canada.
Canadian Constitutional documents being specifically:
– The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
– Canadian Constitution Act 1867, aka British North America Act – (CanLII Version)
– Constitution Act 1982– (CanLII Version) in what was known as “Bringing Home the Constitution”.
Note: the 1867 Constitution is an act of the UK being: Constitution Act, 1867 (UK), 30 & 31 Vict, c 3, reprinted in RSC 1985, App II, No 5.
Some secondary material selections include, but are certainly not limited to:
– Peter Hogg, Constitutional Law of Canada (in various forms)
– Gerald Gall, The Canadian Legal System
– Patrick Monahan, Constitutional Law
– Gerald Beuadoin & Errol Mendes, Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Annnnnd we had an earbug of a Centennial Song