Even in 2011, I receive a surprisingly large number of documents that require me to print them, sign them, and fax them back to the sender. Ironically, most of these documents are sent to me as PDF attachments to e-mails.
We've banned physical fax machines at Clio, and instead use RingCentral for sending an receiving faxes. My workflow below helps me avoid having to print and scan documents that require completion and signing:
- Download the PDF document
- Open in Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Use the "typewriter" tool to complete form fields
- Open a separate PDF file where I've signed my name using the "pencil" tool
- Copy and paste my signature onto the document
- Save the completed document
- Upload and fax the document via RingCentral
This beats having to deal with scanners and printers, but it's a laborious process.
HelloFax is a new service that helps make the dream of a paperless office a reality. Completing a form with HelloFax requires only a few steps:
- Upload your document to HelloFax
- Fill out fields and insert your signature using HelloFax's web interface
- Enter fax number or e-mail address, click "send"
HelloFax helps take a huge amount of the pain out of completing PDF-based forms, and has thankfully helped move these "dumb" documents into the 21st century.