♫ You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it’s evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world …♫
Lyrics and music by Lennon/McCartney, recorded by The Beatles.
CTV.ca has released the complete text of the demands of the Occupy Vancouver protestors. A number of their demands are in the legal area, so I thought I would highlight a few of them from their total list of 60:
12. We demand that corporate person-hood is repealed.
I am not quite sure what they mean…the elimination of corporations as legal entities?
27. We demand – as Bertrand Russell suggested – there be two police forces – one to prove your guilt and another to prove your innocence. We demand lawyers be required to work in pairs so that a lack of resources won’t be a factor in deciding a case. (Alternative: We demand increased funding for legal aid.)
Interesting thought about lawyers working in pairs…but exactly how do we pay for the inevitable doubling of costs? Just, speedy and inexpensive seems to run contrary to this…not to mention the cost of carrying two police forces. But I do agree with them about increasing funding for Legal Aid!
32. We demand the repeal of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. All synthetic drugs and hard drugs (including cocaine and heroin) must be distributed by prescription through a pharmacist.
I can just imagine the implications of repealing the CD&S Act!
34. We demand that all harmless people be protected in the constitution. If a new law is written and a new set of people are to be criminalized, the burden of proof will now be on the government to provide evidence that this new group of criminals is inherently harmful to others. This will end scapegoating.
I thought the purpose of the constitution was to protect people – including harmless ones.
41. We demand the release of all non-violent prisoners.
Does that mean there would be no penal consequences for committing serious, but non-violent crimes?
and just one more:
53. We demand the removal of all the red tape around the growing of industrial hemp.
We all want to change the world; I guess some of us differ on our choice of methods. At least they didn’t follow Shakespeare’s advice and say the first thing to do, is let’s kill all the lawyers…