Clients don’t always appreciate how lawyers can help on other legal issues they may encounter as they go through life.
Just as booking an appointment with a doctor or financial advisor offers an opportunity to identify issues and gauge your health (physical and financial), checking in with their lawyer can ensure your client’s legal health is also in good shape.
To help lawyers remind their clients to check up their “legal health”, LAWPRO has created the Annual Legal Health Check-up (in Word format and PDF format). It is a non-exhaustive list of common legal issues that arise in a client’s personal or business life. The list can be modified to use as best suits your own practice.
Here is a partial list of questions the Legal Health Check-up asks clients to consider:
- Have you married or started a common-law relationship recently?
- Are you separated/divorced recently?
- Do you have children?
- Are you considering acting as a sponsor for foreign nationals seeking to immigrate to Canada?
- Do you own a home or other property? Is the ownership alone or with someone?
- Is your home/property left vacant for any period of time or do you have any property outside of Canada?
- Are you thinking of building or renovating soon?
- Do you have title insurance for your property?
- Do you have a will? Has anything changed since you signed it?
A lot can happen over the course of a year to impact your client’s legal health. By mailing or emailing this Check-up list to clients, lawyers can encourage them to proactively consider their potential legal needs and be aware that their lawyer can help them address issues before there is a crisis.