The Restoring Balance in Alberta’s Workplaces Act (introduced as Bill 32 and referred to as the Act) passed its final reading on July 28, 2020, and received royal assent on July 29, 2020. Some sections of the Act still require proclamation to come into force, however, most provisions come into force on assent or August 15 or November 1, 2020.
The Act makes changes to a number of key provisions in the Employment Standards Code (ESC) effective November 1, 2020, except for modifications to the length of temporary layoff, the notice of a group termination and flexible rules to apply for variances to the ESC, which will take effect on August 15, 2020.
The Act also changes a number of key provisions on assent in the Labour Relations Code. However, the following will take effect upon proclamation at a later date:
- access to union financial statements/opt-in for union dues;
- early renewal of collective agreements;
- rules for secondary picketing;
- “all-employee” units in the construction sector;
- building trades of Alberta project agreements;
- Alberta Labour Relations Board standard of review; and
- including nurse practitioners in the Labour Relations Code.
You can read the details on the changes in our previous Slaw post here.