Thanks to a good question from a new associate I have done some exploring of mobile access to legislation. The question was, “Is there any way to have a copy of an act that I use all the time available on my Blackberry?”
I can now say, “Yes”, and here is the method:
- Open your Blackberry (or other smartphone)
- Go to the mobile Web Browser and enter the URL for Canlii
- I suggest going directly to the URL for the language and jurisdiction of your choice (http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/ for example)
- Once there, you can search for the act name by navigating down the page to the Title box
- Enter your act name and navigate down to the Search button
- Select the search result – your current act version
A great thing: CanLII uses linguistic, persistent, and readable URLs which make direct browsing easier.
Another great thing: You can use the Find function to jump to a section or a piece of text.
A not great thing: You must navigate to the search button to execute your search as the Blackberry enter key doesn’t start the search process – this may be a user error on my end.
Anyone have alternative solutions?
Hat Tip to Bonnie Bokenfohr who joined our firm this week.