Everyone is talking about how to stay connected on-line and how social media is changing the way we do business. And you know what? It is. Just think of the hundreds of thousands of tweets and fans there were of Pippa Middleton’s bum at the Royal Wedding.
That said, one to one communication is still key. And meeting people face to face has never been as important as it is this day and age.
So with that in mind, here are few tips to remember the next time you step out from behind your desk.
- Have business cards with you. This is pretty simple, just do it.
- Turn off your mobile: Nothing makes your client or potential client feel more special than you BBMing.
- If you ask, you pay: If you want someone’s time or expertise there is a cost to that – even if it’s a toonie at Tim’s.
- Image is perception: Dress appropriately for the event you are attending. Some are hard to judge like a Gala night at TIFF (from tuxes to jeans), most aren’t. If you are unsure, ask the host a few days in advance.
- Listen: People like to talk, people especially like to talk about themselves. Listen to what they have to say, you just may learn something that will help you close the deal.
- Remember your manners: You know what please and thank you mean, use them.
- Body language: Sometimes it’s what you don’t say that is the most telling. Make sure to be engaged in the conversation.
- Be prepared.