Following the introduction of the Canada’s Cannabis Act earlier this year, provincial governments have been scrambling to determine the effect on legislation at their level of government. Alberta had already introduced proposed legislation on the subject last year, but the approach across the country has thus far varied considerably.
A consultation paper has also been released with this announcement. The 5 key areas the province is examining include:
- Setting a minimum age for having, using and buying cannabis
- Regulating cannabis sales in Ontario
- Deciding where people can use cannabis
- Keeping our roads safe, and
- Planning public education.
Comments should be provided by July 31, 2017.