CALL has undertaken an new educational initiative this year, and the next of its series of webinars is to be held on January 25, 2011 from 1:00 – 2:30. Here are the details:
Go beyond the catalogue! The next generation of Integrated Library Systems (ILS) gives libraries new ways to deliver services, helping to position the library as a strategic information centre. Join Steve Lastres in this exploration of innovative and creative implementations which take the ILS beyond library management and into the realm of Knowledge Management.
Steven Lastres is a well-known speaker and writer on libraries and KM. He is currently the Director of Library and Knowledge Management at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.
Non-members are, of course, welcome to register.
New librarians looking to break into the profession may find a new course at the University of Toronto’s i-School of interest. Kim Silk, Data Librarian at the Martin Prosperity Institute, will be the instructor of Entering the New Information Economy : Preparation Strategies for New Info Professionals. The course outline includes some important topics:
- Panel discussions with practicing information professionals with a variety of positions, backgrounds and career paths;
- Understanding the differences among a variety of information environments: public (libraries, museums and archives), corporate and special, government, non-profit, academic, sole proprietor;
- Benefits of professional associations, and how to choose;
- Networking skills;
- Career path development strategies
- Entrepreneurship within and without the organization;
- Leadership and your role in the profession