- Fewer young people have been appearing before a judge since the enactment of the Youth Criminal Justice Act in April 2003, and fewer are being sent to custody.
- The youth court caseload has declined in every province and territory since the introduction of the Act.
- The proportion of cases in which young people either pleaded guilty, or were found guilty, has been gradually declining.
Adult criminal court:
- Cases in adult criminal courts are taking longer to complete.
- Fewer cases are being disposed of in adult criminal court each year.
- Nearly half of the cases completed in 2006/2007 involved crimes against the person and crimes against property.