The article in the June AALL Spectrum by Barbara Holt, “Almost Teaching Legal Research in a Multi-Office Law Firm: Seven steps to supplementing new attorneys’ legal research skills” [PDF] will resonate with a lot of folks at this time of year, I imagine, as articling students show up in new suits and anxiety. Her seven steps are:
- Teach associates before they become associates.
- When new attorneys arrive, show them the library.
- Take attorneys on a virtual tour of library resources and services.
- Take advantage of vendor-provided instruction opportunities.
- Supplement newly-gained experience at the Fall associates retreat.
- Provide fast and focused learning opportunities all year.
- Explore additional methods and opportunities for teaching and training.